Monday, October 13, 2008

Playing in Holy Water

I was babysitting yesterday for a 4 year old and his baby sister. We were at a convent/convention center because his parents were there for a conference. We walked all around the building, checking things out. Being the curious 4 year old that he is, my little friend was drawn in a certain room by the sound of running water. We drove the stroller into the room and immediately my little friend, we'll say Ben, went to the front of the room to the source of the running water. It was an impressive source- a huge, stone baptismal font. The waist high creation was made of limestone, no doubt taken from the rock of the hills nearby. The water flowed from a shallow pool on the top down the sides of the rock into a stone-lined base at the bottom. The water flow was soft and light. In fact, Ben leaned against one of the ravines in the rock and got his shirt and pants all wet. I rolled up his sleeves and he immediately stuck-- no, splashed-- his hands in the pool on top. He then looked at me like perhaps he had done something wrong and said, "What if someone sees us playing here?" And I smiled and answered, "I don't think anyone will mind." We splashed a bit and played in the water. Ben traced the paths that the water took down the rock. I couldn't help but think about the symbolism of the moment. What better place to play? Ben obviously felt completely comfortable in the chapel room and at the font. I did too. As we played and flicked each other with water, one of the sisters came into the room on her way down the hallway. For a moment I thought she might tell us to stop, but instead her actions completely surprised me. She came over to the font, smiled at us and dipped her hand into the water. Then, she pulled her hand out and looked Ben right in the eye and flicked water at him before continuing on her way out of the room. When she got to the door, she turned back and waved at us and then blew Ben a kiss from the doorway.

I know that I'm reading a lot into this but I can't help it. It was absolutely...cute...and charming. But it was also a neat thing, theologically, to see this whole moment transpire. I mean, what better place to play? Safe in the waters of baptism. Secure in the knowledge that we are loved and noticed. Rejoicing in the fact that we are baptized and welcome in the body of Christ.

Safe in the waters of baptism. Martin Luther reminds us that when wash our faces, we should remember our baptisms. Keep the flowing waters of God's love close to your heart and mind and rest safely in the waters of baptism. Your baptism, God's promise revealed. Play safe in the waters of baptism, wherever they may flow.

Soli Deo Gloria,
Amy

2 comments:

Jen said...

I am officially a stalker of your blog, but couldn't help but comment! What an inspiring moment! You're going to make one heck of a pastor!

Trish said...

I'm a psycho stalker!